There is this catchy tune on the radio called Wake Me Up by Avicii and every time I hear it, it gives me pause. I really like the song but the lyrics strike me all wrong.
The main chorus is
So wake me up when it’s all over
When I’m wiser and I’m older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn’t know I was lost
Some days I’m like “heck ya” – wake me up when all the dust has settled.
When the problems are resolved.
When the relationships aren’t so messy.
When motherhood isn’t so hard.
When the financial struggles are a thing of the past.
When I’m not so moody.
When my husband is not so moody.
But that’s not how it works. Especially if you are a follower of Jesus.
Take a look at Hebrews 12:1-2
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
I often think about the race that is set before us and how we must run with endurance.
- A couple thoughts on this…
(1) A race has been set before us…we serve a sovereign God…he is in control and I am in his plan.
(2) A race has been set before my children…he is in control and THEY are in his plan.
(3) The details of life…marriage, children, jobs, no jobs, school etc. are just that…details. The main focus is our walk with God…wherever that may lead us.
(4) It is not a sprint but rather an endurance race…it will take work, it will take time and it will require perseverance.
Then there is the part about looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith…
That race set before us…it is merely a tool to perfect our faith…but we must keep our eyes on Jesus…think Peter walking on water.
So back to the song…
Don’t “sleep” your life away…embrace the race…KNOW who you belong to…gain comfort that your faith is being perfected…that you are indeed a follower of Jesus.